The amount of Paxton family information and others contained in this lot is a bit overwhelming. Within the lot, there is a letter category containing approximately 20 letters. There is a 4-piece wedding invitation; a single University Philadelphia Club House pass 1894; and lastly there is a 7-piece Princeton College Entrance Exam 1891. I will try to explain some of the highlights from each category.
1. Very precious handwritten letter to "my dear Papa" signed William M. Paxton III. In adult handwriting it is dated July 30, 1905. Again in adult handwriting, "Keep this".
2. Hotel stationery letterhead, Carl Bohm's Hotel, 1895, "My Dear Mamma" describing travels through Germany/Austria from "Your loving daughter, Elizabeth D. Paxton".
3. Hotel Tyrol letterhead, Innsbruck, June 2, 1895, "My Dear Lizzie". 4 full pages describing travel. Envelope addressed to Mrs. W. M. Paxton, 20 Library Place, Princeton, NJ, United States of America.
4. February 7, 1890 to Daisy from Capri, signed Carrie D. Paxton.
5. Sunday, May 26 "My Dear Momma" signed Elizabeth D. Paxton from Venice, Italy on hotel letterhead.
6. 1895 to sister from Rome, Pension Michel Hotel signed Helen Paxton.
7. June 22, 1895, Paris, to "My dear Momma" signed Margaretta Paxton.
8. Gruss aus Meran, Austria, October 20, 1895 signed Your loving sister, Margaretta Paxton.
9. To Mother, Mrs. W.M. Paxton from daughter, Elizabeth, 1895. One letter is marked "private".
10. To Mother from Will (son) checking on inherited property. Would like to transfer to Lake George, Paxton Estate.
11. March 25, 1896 from Berlin. Sorrow from Louis B. Crane as told to him by George Paxton. All in the Princeton Class of 1891. "Will miss Denny".
12. October 6, 1890 to Donaldson Paxton, Lake George from H. D. Paxton in Princeton. Talks about Princeton Football game against Franklin & Marshall College. Score 33-16 Princeton.
13. August 18, 1895, Hotel de L'Europe, Salzburg, Elizabeth D. Paxton to Mother extending stay, not well. Speaks of seeing a doctor on hotel stationery.
14. February 28, 1896 addressed to Professor William Paxton, Princeton College expressing sorrow at the death of their son, Denny. Signed Laelei B. Wyeth.
15. October 6, 1889 on Pastor's Study stationery "My dearest Mother". Rev. James D. Paxton resigns as Pastor. Tells congregation he wishes to travel the Holy Land. Accompanying newspaper articles about resignation. Letter signed Your loving Son, JDP.
16. May 1, 1890 Athens, Grande Bretagne hotel stationery to Mother from son, James with 6-month copy of expenses. Addressed to Mrs. W.M. Paxton, 20 Library Place, Princeton.
17. Letter from Europe 1895, Helen Paxton to Momma.
18. 1895 Rome from daughter Margaretta Paxton, "My dear Momma".
19. 1895 signed Elizabeth Paxton, your loving sister. Letter starts "So you are at Atlantic City".
20. May 8, 1895 Venice, Italy "My dear Momma" signed Your loving daughter, Margaretta Paxton. Hotel Royal Danieli-Venice.
The above brief descriptions are a few things that jumped out of each letter. Most letters are very descriptive and most cover front and back pages wasting very little paper. Most letters have been addressed to Mrs. William M. Paxton at 20 Library Place, Princeton, New Jersey which is now on University grounds. There is mention of the Princeton Theological Seminary with regards to Rev. James D. Paxton.
Seller Inventory EB115